Volkert’s history began in 1925 when it was founded in New Orleans as Doullut & Erwin to provide waterfront and heavy construction services, as well as airport design services beginning in 1927. During World War II, the company contributed to the design and construction of U.S. Navy shipyards for the production of “Liberty Ships” as well as dry docks and self-operating steel and wood docks for the war effort.
Following the war, the firm relocated to Mobile, Alabama where it was headed by David Volkert. Volkert acquired the company in 1954 and led its involvement in the design of the U.S. interstate highway system, the largest civil engineering project in history, in nine southeastern states and the District of Columbia. Renamed for Volkert in 1963, and under his leadership, the firm has expanded to provide a wide range of design services in transportation, aviation, construction, public works and utilities, property acquisition, and environmental engineering.
Through its accomplished history, Volkert has earned over 60 major engineering awards as well as several inductions into the Engineering Hall of Fame. Volkert is now the largest Alabama-based engineering company and is ranked in the top quartile of the nation’s Top 500 Design Firms. Today, Volkert is listed among the top 1% of engineering companies in the United States and our commitment to serving our clients, our communities, and our nation with excellence is as steadfast as it was over ninety years ago.